Subject: Re: MBone tools
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 07/08/1995 01:41:56
>> Has anyone compiled the various Mbone tools (toys?) for an i386 or other
>> machine running -current?
>
> A better question would be, "Does anyone _have_ the sources to the various
> Mbone tools?" :-)
>
> As far as I know, the only Mbone tool where the source is available is NV.

The sources to IVS, VIC and IMM are all available (and possibly NEVOT as well).

> The latest rumors I've been hearing is that the LBL group is interested in
> commercializing their MBONE apps, and don't want the sources floating around.
> (Despite the fact that since it's government funded, the sources _should_
> be available.  *sigh*)

If that were true, then VIC source would not be available.

> But getting back to a useful slant; it's my understanding that since
> NetBSD/i386 can run BSDI binaries and NetBSD/sparc can run SunOS binaries,
> you can use this emulation to run vat, sd, and friends.

That's true.  I ported IVS, VIC, NV and IMM to NetBSD/SPARC 1.0, and I use the
SunOS binaries for VAT, WB and SD.  Under NetBSD/SPARC 1.0 the SunOS binaries
need a little bit of binary whacking because of some include file constant
differences between the SunOS Multicast code releases and NetBSD; post-1.0
NetBSD/SPARC doesn't need them as pk niftily took care of the problem.

	- Greg