Subject: CS4231
To: None <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/07/1995 10:26:00
[note list change]

>From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
>Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 08:43:26 +0100 (BST)

>Just curious - what is a cs4321 ?

[NB: This is my own understanding of events, and is in no way
official.]

In the beginning Analog Devices created the AD1848; the customers
looked upon it, and decided it was good.  They bought it in great
quantities (and still do).

Crystal Semiconductor didn't want to miss out on a good thing, so they
cloned the AD1848, and called their clone the CS4248.  They then
decided that they could make it better.  They added 16-sample input
and output FIFOs, and 16 more registers.  The result was the CS4231.
Later they added a serial port and some more refinements, and that
was the CS4231A.

Analog Devices didn't want to miss out on the fun, so we created the
AD1845.  It improves on the CS4231 by adding the ability to set any
sample rate between 4 kHz and 50 kHz with 1 Hz resolution.

This family tree will help to explain:

	AD1848J

	AD1848K

	   +----------->CS4248
	   V		   |
	AD1846		   |
	AD1843		CS4231
	   |		   |
	   V		   |
	   |		CS4231A
	   |		   |
	   V		   V
	AD1812		CS4232

--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));