Subject: Re: sys/arch/hp300/dev/if_le.c broken
To: Charles M. Hannum <>
From: Peter Galbavy <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/1995 07:58:00
> Ethernet devices *always* have at least one address in their address
> lists -- the link-level (hardware) address.  So the test was, since at
> least Net/2, superfluous at best.  It's conceivable that the interface
> should refuse to turn on the IFF_UP bit if there are no protocol
> addresses defined, but if so, this should be handled elsewhere in some
> generic fashion, and should report an error to the user.

As a complete aside... has anyone got a suitable set of diff's to
ifconfig and various drivers to make something like 'ifconfig le0
ether xx:...' work ?

Just asking because if I run a NetBSD/sparc system, all the Ethernet
devices have the same MAC address (blame Sun). This may also be
useful for other ports.

Otherwise, I will one day get round to writing it and sending in
a pr. One day.

Peter Galbavy
@ Home                                                 phone://44/973/499465
in Wonderland