Subject: Re: Utility submissions?
To: None <seebs@solon.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/1995 01:59:38
   The specific utilities I have (which do need some polish) are:
   1.  A wrapper on stat(2) suitable for shell use.  I'd like to give it
   some formatted output capabilities, but right now, it's a useful sysadmin
   tool, sometimes.

This might be useful, but a lot of the functionality you might get
from it could be better done using test(1).  Do you have any specific
examples of where it's useful?

   2.  A columnizer.  I know there are sort of such things already, but mine
   does the right thing for "ls | c".  (i.e., gets stty, or gets terminal size,
   or assumes 80).

How does this differ from what column(1) does?