Subject: Re: Hmmm....
To: John S. Dyson <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@imsi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/1995 18:21:57
"John S. Dyson" writes:

> >   This is the crux of the issue - NetBSD is a research and development
> >   platform, FreeBSD is a users platform.
>               ^^^^^^^ Believe it or not, more machine independent
> OS level work is/has been done on FreeBSD!!!

Hard to believe, given that you run basically on one
architecture. When you run on as many architectures as NetBSD, you
basically can't help doing a lot of machine independant work. However,
much of what you guys do is only hypothesized to be machine independant.

> The comment about "VM instabilities" is only partially true.  The
> standard MACH-Based Net/2 and 4.4 Lite VM systems are so
> pathetically broken and/or inefficient (and actually mostly the
> results of a feasibility study), I cannot believe that ANYONE would
> release an OS based upon that platform.

Hey, I've got customers running under it and they are doing just
fine. Performance is good and everything. Your milage may vary, of
course.

However, I've got to say that the sniping is really silly. Even if
everyone does hate everyone else its probably more productive to just
ignore the other side and plod on.

Perry