Subject: Re: Compiling gdb 4.14
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Thorsten Lockert <tholo@sigmasoft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/01/1995 16:06:31
------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

> > I just added PT_READ_U and PT_WRITE_U from infptrace.c into
> > /usr/include/sys/ptrace.h, and it built. Is ptrace.h on NetBSD
> > obsolete?
>
> PT_READ_U and PT_WRITE_U are the 'old way' of getting and setting
> process registers.  not particularly 'clean,' nor particularly secure.
>
> the new way is with PT_GETREGS and PT_SETREGS (and PT_{GET,SET}FPREGS).

Agreed.  But you still need PT_{READ,WRITE}_U to deal with signal
handlers and stuff, no?

> Adding PT_READ_U and PT_WRITE_U to ptrace.h won't help; nothing will
> actually be implementing them, anyway.

But perhaps they should be implemented?

> you should change infptrace.c to use the new functions.  (If you do
> so, you might mail the list with a copy of the diffs.)

What functions are there to see which signal handlers a traced process
have installed?  How can a debugger detect wether or not a signal has
occured?

Thorsten

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

--