Subject: Re: Compiling gdb 4.14
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C5ge_R=F8bekk?= <aagero@ifi.uio.no>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/01/1995 18:04:25
> I just added PT_READ_U and PT_WRITE_U from infptrace.c into
> /usr/include/sys/ptrace.h, and it built. Is ptrace.h on NetBSD
> obsolete?

PT_READ_U and PT_WRITE_U are the 'old way' of getting and setting
process registers.  not particularly 'clean,' nor particularly secure.

the new way is with PT_GETREGS and PT_SETREGS (and PT_{GET,SET}FPREGS).

Adding PT_READ_U and PT_WRITE_U to ptrace.h won't help; nothing will
actually be implementing them, anyway.

you should change infptrace.c to use the new functions.  (If you do
so, you might mail the list with a copy of the diffs.)

chris