Subject: Re: Compile of routed in -current ? ....
To: None <apm@vipunen.hut.fi>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/30/1995 15:06:03
> I suppose it would be too hard to try to figure out how we could
> bootstrap assuming that some of the tools might be out of date

Fiddlesticks.  There's nothing difficult about making the bootstrap
work correctly.  Especially when we have control over almost all of
the tools.

The makefile include problem can be trivially solved by adding an
option to make that says ``look for system include files here.''
Then we tweak the second-level Makefile.inc files to force this flag
to be used in subsidiary makes as well, and put a hook into
bsd.subdir.make to support that.   Presto-changeo - no more need to
preinstall /usr/share/mk.   Of course, you would still need to
manually bootstrap the first time you got the new version of make and
the makefiles, but only once.

			       _MelloN_