Subject: Re: Compile of routed in -current ? ....
To: John Birrell <jb@werple.mira.net.au>
From: matthew green <mrg@mame.mu.Oz.Au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/29/1995 13:01:41

   > desired result.  a little user education is what is really needed.
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   Or a little change to a makefile or two?

little?  one or two?  you're moving the entire src/include directory
around, not making a little change.

   > i can't feel sorry for people compiling the full netbsd tree who
   > aren't at least aware of the issues involved -- it is just too big.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   I, for one, can't tell *why* include files have changed, so I have no idea
   what to rebuild. I would prefer to let the makefiles do this for me, but

this is what "make depend" is for.  i let it decide what must change
and what must not.

   I don't think that the '${MAKE} cleandir' in /usr/src/Makefile below the
   build: target is appropriate. I think the build: target should be rebuild:.

   > it is just too big.

   And to do a '${MAKE} cleandir' _just in case_ is not my idea of fun.

i use cleandir in specific dirs, but never on my source tree.  i just
make depend && make && make install.

   > i must admit that i had the same reaction to your original proposal
   > as chris did.

   Hmm. He didn't respond.

i mean the "how do you do this?".

   > .mrg.

   Thanks for the response, but do you even accept that there is a problem?

there is a problem.  i don't have a solution to it, but i'd rather things
stayed the way they are, than make the changes you suggested.

.mrg.