Subject: Kernel library (libkern) Makefile glitch on pmax?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/27/1995 15:10:04
>From June 25 (possibly earlier), the way kernel  makes rebuild
libkern.a has changed.  First, even though I'd done a ``make obj''
in src/sys/lib/libkern, and kernel libraries *used* to build there,
they now get built in a lib/kern subdirectory of the kernel build.

I think this is  odious, since it means each kernel will end up
with its own  copy of libkern.a (and libcompat.a).

Worse, at least on on the pmax, the random.o for libkern.a is being
built from the libc random.c.  This is a big lose, since
stdlib/random.c refers to fprintf(), which the kernel doesn't have.

A simple fix for that is to  move the ``.PATH: ${DIR}''
line to be the *first*, not *last*, PATH entry in
src/sys/lib/libkern/Makefile.

Has anyone else encountered these probelms, or is it just me?  I
recently changed object formats (from a.out to elf) which may be why I
encountered this.  Or I may have somehow messed up my source tree, but
I don't *think* so.

--Jonathan Stone