Subject: Re: NFS over SLIP == boom
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/1995 13:42:59
Peter Seebach (seebs@solon.com) wrote:
: I have a 68040 with lots of memory, and I had to rebuild something for
: a 68030 with too little memory, and I did the install over nfs.  It
: took about 2 hours to install pine over NFS.  It *had* been built
: already.

The rule of thumb would be to do the build on the local disk, and then
do the install from the other machine, as NFS reads are much faster than
NFS writes (read caching on the client is allowed, write caching isn't).

With modem links using read/write sizes of 1024 bytes (nfs mount
parameters) would also be helpful, as the loss of an IP fragment wouldn't hit
the whole 8k buffer (default size)... and use NFS over TCP in that case.

Regards
	Ignatios Souvatzis