Subject: Re: Future of NetBSD??
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/1995 20:35:12
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jun 1995 09:50:07 -0700 (PDT)
>  Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com> wrote:
>
>  > This is the crux of the issue - NetBSD is a research and development
>  > platform, FreeBSD is a users platform.  My fear is that NetBSD, by
>  > adhering strongly to this attitude is condemning itself to always be
>  > on the trailing edge of useability.
>
> I disagree.  From my perspective, users want the most stable, robust
> platform available.  I think that with all the thought that does into
> NetBSD's design, NetBSD is going to the the platform to provide that.

I think you need to qualify 'users' as 'NetBSD users' - if we want to
talk about users in general then I am certain that you'll find *way*
more FreeBSD users than NetBSD.  Why?  Because it generally works and
it has all the glitzy bits in it.  The average user could care less
what a hack the driver code may be - it works and that's fine with
them.

The average NetBSD user, I think, is a person who cares more about
the design of the OS than in using it.  A NetBSD user is the guy who
buys a car and spends his time and money under the hood, instead of
the chrome wheels, tinting, neon, teensy tires, and a really boomin'
stereo system.

--
Dave Cornejo                                There is nothing so subtle
Fremont, California                                     as the obvious