Subject: Re: Snapshot report - June 20th tar_files
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/1995 22:11:28
> ISA DMA is going to change _significantly_ at some point in the
> future, mostly because the way things currently are done _completely_
> breaks on the Alpha.  (In a nutshell: the Alpha uses virtual-ish DMA
> from ISA devices...)

The PCI/ISA chipset on the ASUS board that I have supports better DMA
for ISA devices, so that you can DMA anywhere in the address space,
even from or to an ISA device.  I think this is a pretty common
chipset, and there may be similar functionality available in some
modern EISA chipset - maybe support for this stuff should be
considered along with bounce buffers?

			       _MelloN_