Subject: Re: parallel port IP
To: None <is@beverly.rhein.de>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/1995 21:46:37
> Roland McGrath (roland@frob.com) wrote:
> : Has anyone written a `plip' interface for NetBSD to talk IP over the
> : i386 parallel port, compatible with the `plip' interface in Linux?
>
> ... or compatible with the plip interface for AmigaoS?

The timing of this discussion is somewhat amusing...

a couple of days before it started, Bob Baron came into my office to
talk about various things, and "stuff hanging off the parallel port"
was one of them.

It's my opinion that there should be an equivalent of "line
disciplines" for parallel ports.  That way, one can sanely use
parallel->enet devices, PLIP-ish things, etc., and still easily be
able to use the device 'normally' (e.g. for a printer), w/o too much
hassle and code clutter.

It could also allow devices that sit on parallel ports to be shared
between (electrically compatible) parallel port implementations which
used different chips...

Well, i've now thown down the gauntlet.  8-)

chris