Subject: Re: route and routed
To: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/22/1995 19:00:14
>   I just did a sup off the new server and a build. Everything seemed
>to go fairly well, except that /etc/netstart got stuck trying to
>"route add $hostname localhost". Control-C would allow it to continue,
>and the route was not added. I stuck an ampersand on that line, and now
>the system comes up cleanly and with the local route. This makes me
>suspect that route is looking for routed (which isn't up yet in
>/etc/netstart) and won't continue unless it finds it. Has anyone else
>seen this? Thanks.

It's probably trying to resolve a hostname without any way of doing
so.  Make sure the hostname is correctly identified in your /etc/hosts
file, and that you have "lookup file bind" (or something with file
first) in /etc/resolv.conf.  Or, if you can't or don't want to go to
all that trouble, use the IP# instead of the hostname in the "route
add" command.

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4, PC532,
                           DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), DEC/AXP (Alpha)
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX and others...