Subject: Re: installation help?
To: None <bmilliga@NMSU.Edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/1995 19:04:08
>From: bmilliga@NMSU.Edu
>Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 14:54:41 -0600
>
>I am trying to update to -current/i386 (from tar files of about 3
>weeks ago) and cannot quite seem to get it right.  In short, the
>problem is that compiling lots of the utilities leaves me with
>binaries that simply return with no errors, but they don't do
>anything.  No compilation errors occured, so I am at a loss.  Any help
>greatly appreciated.

Do the static binaries work?  If so, then you probably managed to
create a bogus /usr/libexec/ld.so.  See below.

>make a new kernel and reboot

Does your kernel config include "options COMPAT_10"?  You MUST use a
kernel with COMPAT_10 at least until you've successfully updated your
binaries.

>(cd /usr/src/include; make && make install)
>(cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld; make && make install)

I think you want to build ld BEFORE you install the new headers.

>During the last make I got some errors compiling tn3270, lex, and some
>of the games, but I skipped over them and continued.  I also had to
>copy fmt.c from 1.0 to compile w (ps apparently doesn't need that file
>in -current).

The first time you build lex, you have to copy initscan.c to scan.c
(obj/scan.c if you use obj dirs), because the older version of flex
that came with 1.0 can't handle the newer flex's scan.l.

The missing fmt.c was a bug that has since been fixed.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));