Subject: Postgres95 beta 0.02
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1995 09:31:25
I've taken the latest beta of Postgres95, added the 4 patches, and placed
the result on my ftp site:

	ftp://charon.amdahl.com/pub/agc/postgres95b-0.02pl4-src.tar.gz

and I've tarred up the libraries and binaries and put them in:

	ftp://charon.amdahl.com/pub/agc/postgres95b-0.02pl4-bin-i386.tar.gz

Please note the following:

1.  Postgres95-beta-0.02 is an extended relational database (aka
Object-Oriented database) derived from Postgres-4.2.  It is quicker,
smaller, and runs on more platforms than Postgres 4.2.  It includes an
SQL(-3) interface.

2.  The previous NetBSD port of Postgres 4.2 didn't include dynamic
linking.  This port of Postgres95 does.

3.  Postgres95 is still beta software.  That's the reason for the
somewhat limited nature of announcements that I've made regarding it.

4.  Due to sun-lamp's move, no new tar_files were built on June 10th,
so these sources (and the binaries) relate to NetBSD sources prior to
the latest dynamic loading function changes.  Specifically, it was
built with June 3rd sources. However, I believe that the changes to be
made to Postgres95 are cosmetic.

5.  I've heard that Postgres95 works fine on NetBSD/sparc.  Are there
any other platforms?  Either success or failure?

6.  Postgres95 now builds out of the box (modulo point 5 below) on
NetBSD/i386 1.0a (3rd June sources).

7.  The NetBSD support was missing one file
(src/mk/port/postgres.mk.netbsd), which I've included at the bottom of
this mail.

8.  I apologise for the late arrival of this notice.  Some of you will
know that my wife and I had a baby boy, (our first child) at the
beginning of April, and so I don't get as much spare time (or sleep)
as I used to.

9.  For the BSD/OS people out there - I don't have BSD/OS, and have no
immediate plans to get that OS.  I'm afraid if it doesn't work for you
(and I've made no effort to create compatible binaries - see point 6
above), then you're on your own, unless someone gives me a copy of
BSD/OS.

10.  Due to resource constraints on our Internet firewalls, this
version of Postgres95 will be removed after 24 hours (i.e.  it's good
until 09:00 June 14th 1995, PST).

Cheers,
Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)			   +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# postgres.mk.netbsd--
#    NetBSD 1.0 specific rules
#
# Copyright (c) 1994-5, Regents of the University of California
#
#    $Id: postgres.mk.netbsd,v 1.3 1995/03/23 01:22:55 andrew Exp $
#
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------
ifndef MK_PORT
MK_PORT=	netbsd

# cc is gcc, but never mind about that...
CC=		gcc

INSTALL=	/usr/bin/install
RANLIB=		/usr/bin/ranlib

#
# for postgres.user.mk
#
CFLAGS_SL = -fpic -DPIC

SLSUFF=		.so

%.so: %.o
	$(LD) -x -r -o $(objdir)/$(<F).obj $(objdir)/$(<F)
	@echo building shared object $(objdir)/$(@F)
	@rm -f $(objdir)/$(@F).pic
	@${AR} cq $(objdir)/$(@F).pic `lorder $(objdir)/$(<F).obj | tsort`
	${RANLIB} $(objdir)/$(@F).pic