Subject: Re: Trouble with PCI, VGA, 32Mbyte
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/1995 14:05:41
>     Hi Andrew,
> you wrote in <199506100832.KAA03865@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>:
> > 	NCR doesn't scan and remap bad blocks.
> Badblock remapping for SCSI???? What for?

We (at least I am.) are talking about remapping bad
sectors that fail even on repeated read-access. Thus
SCSI will NOT remap these sectors automatically.
No it doesn't happen very often (once in two years.).
When it does there is no other solution than to
use a utility like Adaptecs verification-BIOS to
scan and force remapping of these bad blocks.

The comment was only made as one of the very few
reasons to have an Adaptec. And it Peter seems
to be writing a utility to solve problems like
these too.

Cheerio

--
The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity. (unknown)
current	release=doc host=wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"