Subject: Re: Trouble with PCI, VGA, 32Mbyte
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
From: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/1995 10:26:39
In message <199506102313.TAA29911@duality.gnu.ai.mit.edu>, "Charles M. Hannum" writes:

>    Sending arbitrary CDB's from the command line is handy.  I'm not
>    sure what is so "*suck*"y about the interface; I guess Charles has
>    used it and found it a pain in the neck that everything within the
>    quotes is in hex and everything outside in decimal.
>
> No; that's the least of the problems.  The most annoying problem is
> that, e.g/, a trivial typo can turn a CHANGE DEFINITION command into a
> FORMAT UNIT command -- definitely not what the user intended, and by
> the time he/she notices, it's way too late.
>
> This is a very unsafe interface, and I would definitely not want
> random users to experiment with it.

Hmm, I'm a random user, lemme interface with /dev/rsd0a... or /dev/mem,
or /dev/kmem... ;-)

IMHO, that is what permissions are for, to keep random users OUT.  If the
sys-admin is not smart enough to read a man page BEFORE he tries out a
command he knows nothing about, he deserves to be shot.

Also, I have had use for the power and functionality of such software
before, and would think it a benefit if they were incorporated into
the current distribution.  (Where did I need the power to send commands
directly to the drive?  An inopertune powerfailure interrupted a format
of a 4GB scsi drive.  When powered on, a probe would not detect the drive.
However, a scsi format command happened to be recognized by the drive,
and things were fine with the drive after it finished formating.

Just my $0.02...

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner | Email: weingart@BrandonU.Ca | Need a Unix sys-admin?  |
| Box 27, Beulah, MB |-----------------------------| Send E-Mail for resume, |
| R0M 0B0, Canada    | Unix Guru, Admin, Sys-Prgmr | and other details...    |
|      %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown         |