Subject: Yet another NetBSD-current i386 boot failure
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andreas Gustafsson <gson@araneus.pp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 06/11/1995 15:27:10
Since the release of the May 15 NetBSD-current i386 snapshot, there
have been several reports on this list about the GENERIC kernel failing
to boot due to the probes mistaking an Adaptec SCSI host adapter for a
BusLogic or vice versa.

I'll join the flood with my own observations: the boot floppy failed
on two out of two machines I tried.  One has an Adaptec 1542A and the
other has a 1542B.  In both cases the bt0 probe succeeded although
neither machine has a BusLogic card, and the kernel then either
hung or panicked in the bt0 driver.

Here is a manual transcription of some of the messages seen on the
console of the machine with the 1542A.

bt0 at isa0 port 0x330-0x333 irq 11 drq 5bt0: bt_cmd,
	cmd/data port full
:version 0.6, bt-127428592: bt_cmd, cmd/data port empty 7
bt0: bt_cmd, host not idle (0x20)
async, no parity, 0mbxs
bt0 targ 0: sync, offset 1, period 200 nsec
scsibus1 at bt0
probe(bt0:0:0): timedoutbt0: not taking commands!
panic(...

--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson@araneus.pp.fi