Subject: To map or not to map?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/11/1995 11:47:45
My two cents worth:

The remapping capability of the SCSI disk should be set to match that
normally expected by any other OSes and drivers that could run on the machine.

For example, my NetBSD/Amiga partitions are on the same disk as an AmigaDOS
partition.  I'd rather not have NetBSD do anything that may confuse AmigaDOS.
e.g. if AmigaDOS lets the drive map bad blocks, and NetBSD wants to do it
manually, then the next time AmigaDOS hits a bad block, it may not be able
to deal with it.  Also, I want to continue being able to mount the read-only
BSD FFS filesystem driver to access NetBSD files from the AmigaDOS side.

As far as I know, AmigaDOS lets the drive do bad-block remapping.  (There
is a facility for mapping bad blocks, but I don't think it's used for SCSI,
just for older ST-506 devices.)  NetBSD/Amiga does not currently do
any different.

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
           email: dej@eecg.toronto.edu, finger for PGP public key