Subject: Re: Trouble with PCI, VGA, 32Mbyte
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
From: Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/1995 10:59:40
Charles M. Hannum writes:

>    I run an NCR but lately I had to down the machine and hang the
>    drives onto an Adaptec-Controller because the
>
> 	   NCR doesn't scan and remap bad blocks.
>
> Are you referring to the `verification' utility in the BIOS?  There's
> certainly no facility in either host adapter to do remapping at run
> time; it's the responsibility of either the device or the driver to do
> that.

And many devices have it disabled by default and as shipped.  If you
want the drive to remap on write failures or after read retries turn
on AWRE and ARRE in mode page 1.  You can lift the code from FreeBSD
sbin/scsi and lib/libscsi or write a utility using the user mode scsi
ioctl.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936