Subject: Re: Trouble with PCI, VGA, 32Mbyte
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@cloud9.net>
From: Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/1995 18:39:58
Thor Lancelot Simon writes:

> The AWRE and ARRE bits in mode page 1 tell the *drive* to remap itself.  I
> can't recall whether that implies doing so silently or not -- I think it does,
> which is probably a good reason to do it in the driver instead, particularly
> since in that case the user might have turned them off *so that* he can see the
> errors.

There is also the PER (post error) flag that tells the drive to be
noisy.  However, there is still the issue of total read failures that
the driver has to handle - the drive won't remap on read failure.

My choices?  PER=1 AWRE=1 ARRE=1.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936