Subject: Re: Trouble with PCI, VGA, 32Mbyte
To: None <dufault@hda.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/1995 21:24:05
   > * Allow a mnemonic name for the command, and always use the mnemonic
   > names when suggesting something to a user.

   This makes it quite a bit less arbitrary - you need to know a lot
   about the individual commands.

   > * Unless another option is given, disallow any command that would
   > modify the device's state in a significant way.

   Again, this makes it quite a bit less arbitrary - you need to know a lot
   about the individual commands.

If by `you' you mean the user, then I'd argue that the user bloody
well ought to know what he/she is doing.  If by `you' you mean the
program, then it's quite trivial to store the information in a file
somewhere.  Note that I did *not* suggest restricting the interface so
that you *must* use a mnemonic name; you can still send any command
you want.

   > * Verify the CDB length when possible.

   The FreeBSD driver does this already.

I just looked, and neither the driver, the library, nor the program
actually check that the CDB is the correct length for the particular
command.

   I won't bother with any more peace offerings.

One could rightly argue that you never made any.