Subject: Re: Not sure if this turns out to be on-topic; old Sun drives.
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/1995 22:57:20
On Tue, 6 Jun 1995 22:31:24 -0500
 Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com> wrote:

 > I have a sun "Emulex MD21" device, which is a tape drive and
 > Maxtor 380 meg drive.  The latter is not SCSI; the controller rather
 > emulates SCSI for it.  My problems are as follows:

Hmm...this `just works' on my Sun 3, albeit with a Micropolis drive.
I've not gotten the tape to work, even with the necessary `blank' entry
in scsiconf.c...I think my QIC-36 -> SCSI frob is toast...

This might just have something to do with the Amiga SCSI drivers?

 > 1.  AmigaDOS cannot see the Maxtor SCSI drive.  SCSI scanning things
 > do mention target 2, lun 0 and 1, but they do nothing about it.
 > 2.  If the tape is plugged in, the system cannot find target 0, or
 > possibly also 1, generically, I think, anything lower than the tape
 > drive.
 >
 > The box appears to be set for target 2; the dip switches referred to
 > in the field engineers' guide are simply not present.  (There's chips
 > there, no dip switches.)
 >
 > Has anyone gotten one of these to work, and can anyone suggest a fix?
 >
 > -s

Moffet Field, CA 94035                                 Pager: 415.428.6939