Subject: Re: ftp performance with netbsd ?
To: Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/1995 20:36:17
>> You're probably running afoul of RFC 1323 fat/wide TCP options, which
>> don't seem to like thin pipes very much.

>Is sum-lamp really that overloaded or I'm staring at the thin pipe
>problem ?  Can't it be solved permanently in the core code ?

How can you solve it in the core code when it's the box you're going
through which is causing the problem?  You can solve it either by
disabling the advanced features (building a new kernel), or updating
the networking code in the problem machine to modern standards.

I'd prefer that the core team not cripple the default system just so
things work with old, legacy networking code.  Especially since the
fix is as easy as building a kernel with the advanced features turned
off.

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4, PC532,
                           DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), DEC/AXP (Alpha)
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX and others...