Subject: Re: ftp performance with netbsd ?
To: None <perry@imsi.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/1995 22:26:46
>John Kohl writes:
>> I've submitted a PR enhancement request to add a sysctl option to turn
>> on/off RFC1323.  I've been using those changes it at every reboot (to
>> turn off RFC1323) for about 2 months now; it works great.
>
>The IETF ought to be told that 1323 is causing performance
>problems. Are they truly caused by 1323 and not by the implementation
>thereof?

I believe the performance problems are caused more by buggy TCP/IP stacks that
RFC1323 per se.  If you don't understand IP options, you are just supposed
to ignore them.  Unfortunately, it seems that many systems don't.  Someone
even reported that some Annexes dump core when they see packets with IP
options in them!

--Ken