Subject: A new user's comments, part 4
To: None <tmm@mcci.com>
From: Scott L. Burson <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/1995 13:53:59
   From: tmm@mcci.com (Terry Moore)
   Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 11:44:10 -0400 (EDT)

   Probably only a minor thing:  but I have a version of getty (uugetty) that uses
   the lock files and allows things like kermit to work.  Tip is, I agree, broken
   with respect to modems; but using uugetty, I've sucessfully multiplexed kermit,
   dial ins, & ppp dial outs without interference, and without source mods to either
   the kernel or the utilities.

   Some people have recommended switching to a ttn / cun scheme (a-la sunos), but
   that seemed to still require lots of other things to get modified (tables,
   defaults, and so forth); just writing a uugetty seemed to be much easier.

Yes, now that MRG has explained the purpose of NetBSD's approach, I agree that
it's reasonable -- but `tip' should be updated to understand it (looks like
nobody uses `tip' -- I guess everyone uses `cu').

As far as multiplexing dialin and dialout, I am planning to let `faxd' handle
that, as I do under SunOS.  In a way, this is simpler -- it just waits until
the modem says "RING", then tells it to answer and starts up `getty'.  I
agree, the tty?/cua? scheme is probably unnecessary.

Thanks for the reply.

-- Scott