Subject: Re: compressed virtual memory
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Aleksi Suhonen <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/1995 20:57:21
In message  Chris G Demetriou told
}-> I recall the original proposal was for compressed virtual memory, that to
}-> me translates to disk space - unless the box is diskless on a network.

}-Actually, the big potential win on "compressed VM" is not in disk
}-_space_, even on local disks; local disk is cheap.

}-It's in disk accesses, which are incredibly slow, even compared to the
}-time it takes to uncompress a page on a "reasonable" cpu.

}-On faster CPUs (oh, say, like the 233MHz 21064As sitting next to me),
}-then the difference becomes even greater.

And the real kick in the idea is that it's neat and the feeling
you get when it finally works is XTC ;-)

	Aleksi Suhonen
(Now THAT really sounded like from the scene didn't it ;-)