Subject: fdesc filesystem?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/1995 23:53:28
What is the real use of the fdesc file system?

As installed, NetBSD already has /dev/tty, /dev/stdin, /dev/stdout,
/dev/stderr and /dev/fd/*, and the fdesc filesystem creates funny
duplicates of those, often appearing to be named pipes.

I was compiling a program that basically did

	fd = open("/dev/tty", ...);
	FD_SET(fd, &fdset);
	err = select(fd+1, &fdset, NULL, NULL, &tv);

and this select call did not return until the timeout had passed.
Typing input did not cause a return, and this caused me a lot
of headaches until I tried it without fdesc mounted. Then it
worked. Is this to be expected somehow (I doubt it) or is it a bug?
(Relevant code in fdesc_select() looks the same so this would be
equivalently relevant to -current as 1.0.)

-Olaf.
--
___              Copyright 1995 Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert. All Rights Reserved.
\X/    You are not allowed to read this using any kind if Micro$oft product.