Subject: problem with perl5 and connect
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@alfred.ons.octel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/1995 14:28:35
Has anyone seen this problem with perl5.001e before?  (I've had the same
problem with 5.001 too...)  The code is an exact copy of the code in
the perlipc man page explaining how to setup a client program.  The perl
make test ran fine before the install, and I'm running out of ideas.

jonb@bullbox[20]% pt mail.metronet.com 110
connect: Connection timed out at pt line 26.
jonb@bullbox[21]% head -30 pt | tail 10
$this = pack($sockaddr, AF_INET, 0, $thisaddr);
$that = pack($sockaddr, AF_INET, $port, $thataddr);

socket(S, PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, $proto) || die "socket: $!";
bind(S, $this) || die "bind: $!";
connect(S, $that) || die "connect: $!";

select(S); $| = 1; select(stdout);

jonb@bullbox[22]% telnet mail.metronet.com 110
Trying 192.245.137.6...
Connected to mail.metronet.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK UCB Pop server (version 1.831beta+timeout) at mail starting.
quit
+OK Pop server at mail signing off.
Connection closed by foreign host.
jonb@bullbox[23]%

Notice that the name lookup goes fine, even binding to the socket, but it
won't connect... 8-(  Any help would be appreciated,

Jon