Subject: compressed virtual memory - interested?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/30/1995 00:31:53
I'm contemplating working on a compressed virtual memory system for NetBSD.
This would be for 3 hours of credit over the summer semester (i.e. expected
target date around August).

I'm curious how receptive people would be to using something like this.
I believe the professor I would be working under already has a working port
on another Unix system, but to be honest I'm not sure exactly which one.

The compression ratio is somewhere around 3:1, using little braindead
algorithms (i.e. not LZW) that run very quickly.

I'm also looking for feedback on the degree of difficulty of this project,
and relevant references.  I've not done very much kernel hacking.
I've got a spare machine, spare drive space, Leffler et. al. Design & Impl,
and the (perhaps not relevant) i386 data book.  Opinions?
--
VaX#n8 (vak-sa-nate) - n, CS senior++ and Unix junkie - vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Deal with evil through strength, yet encourage good through trust.    - PGP me