Subject: Re: GCC 2.6.3 install
To: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/1995 21:59:33

Ignatios> Hi Niklas,
>> I'd suggest that you wait for a couple of days and get 2.7.0.
>> It'll build out of the box on NetBSD (at least Amiga, but I bet the
>> common archs will buil with no problem).  G++ has had *many*
>> bugfixes.

Ignatios> Youre sure about that advice?

One can never be sure...

Ignatios> Since I tried 3 days to compile gcc-2.6.0 on SunOS-4.1.3 I
Ignatios> promised to myself _a 2nd time_ never again to try a dot
Ignatios> zero versoin of anything (hm... then again, NetBSD-1.0 was
Ignatios> pretty usable)

It all depends on exactly what environment you have.  If you have an
environment close to some alpha/beta tester you can be rather sure of
what you get will work in at least some usable way.  Both NetBSD and
GCC have quite similar development cycles, with current source made
available almost instantaneosly to developpers/testers.  You might
think NetBSD-1.0 to be quite usable, because your hardware were
supported and rather bugfree, I bet others haven't been quite that
lucky with 1.0.  I've heard some A1200-owners on IRC who have had real
troubles with 1.0, for example...  The same applies to GCC, as long as
you're close to some testers env. don't be to scared about the
dot-zero version.  However it's true that GCC at some points in time
have had release cycles chosen where many maintainers/testers haven't
had much time to do their production testing, due to other reasons.

Niklas