Subject: snapshot problems
To: None <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@imsi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/19/1995 18:11:12
Okay, one more data point on the "no ethernet device on snapshot
generic kernel" part of my problems. Having booted several times with
1.0 boot floppies and the boot floppies from the snapshot, I've found
that with the 1.0 floppies my ethernet controller gets probed as

ed2 at isa0 port 0x300-0x31f iomem 0xcc000-0xcffff irq 10 [etc...]

and that when I boot a snapshot floppy I get a half dozen controller
somehow probe with some errors but not mine.

I have no idea if the device is at that location in the generic kernel
on the snapshot floppy but the GENERIC config in the source tree seems
to indicate that the parameters are right. It just won't probe. I'd
strip the kernel down, but to do that I'd need a kernel that doesn't
panic when I try to build a kernel.

Sigh.

Perry