Subject: Re: Argh - memory leaks in shells on NetBSD 1.0
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/1995 09:18:40
> I'm having a problem with NetBSD-1.0 on a SPARCStation 2.

> I built rc [...], and noticed after some time that the RSS of running
> rc processes were enormously large.

> After some tracking around I discovered several things:
[...]
> 	-- a binary built under SunOS 4.1.3_U1 and compiled statically
> 	   would not leak under SunOS, but would leak under NetBSD

This sounds suspiciously like the infamous shadow VM object leak.
Anyone know whether such things would contribute to the RSS as quoted
by ps?

Sean, did you try that program posted a while ago that groveled through
the kernel dumping out the shadow objects?

Can rc be compiled to use vfork instead of fork?

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu