Subject: READ ME!
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/1995 10:45:28
I'm in the process of making some changes to the interface between
execve(2) and crt0.  The net effects of this are:

a) Process startup will be somewhat faster, especially with long
argument lists.

b) We'll be able to run BSD/OS 2.0 executables that don't use shared
libraries.  (I'll make shared libraries work RSN, but note that you'll
need a copy of them from a BSD/OS 2.0 system...)

c) New executables won't work with kernels prior to today's changes.
(Current i386 executables don't run under a stock 1.0 kernel anyway,
so I might as well do this before the next release...)

Note that old executables will continue to run.  The only problem
should be that statically linked executables using setproctitle(3)
(i.e. nfsd) will show up strangely in output from an updated ps(1).

As usual, let me know if you encounter any problems.