Subject: Re: NetBSD-i386 vs. Tritron
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Havemester <Michael.Havemester@abqhh.Hanse.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/1995 05:38:00
Hi,

>is anybody using NetBSD-current (or 1.0) successfully with a Triton based
>Pentium system? I tried it on a P90 with a ASUSTek PCI/I-P5TP4 motherboard.
>
>The system works fine except the Ethernet board. We've tested it with 3
>different WDC cards (8003, 8003EP and a 16bit one) and a NE2000 clone,
>none works. With my own WD8003EP I get kernel message like this:
>
>ed0: length does not match next packet pointer
>ed0: len 0000 nlen 1200 start 06 first 07 curr 08 next 00 step 20
>ed0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 3608

I had the same problem (invalid packet length) with a SIS Chipset based
Motherboard (Pentium). I've tested all of my WDC and SMC Elite 16 cards
(8013EB, 8013EP, ... and a clone) with different kernel settings, none
works. I've tried a 3Com 509B and a NE2000 clone and both work.

>The hardware is definitely working because the Linux (don't flame) network
>installation disk works fine, I can mount filesystems via NFS without any
>problems.

I've no problems using this hardware (SMC 8013EP) with the MS-DOS
version of NCSA's telnet.

--
Michael Havemester                                    VOICE:   +49 40/29 33 56
Weidestrasse 41                                       Fax  :   +49 40/29 45 17