Subject: X server performance on NetBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/15/1995 19:49:39
In case anyone is interested...

I have been Beta testing the new Xaccel Xserver from Xinside.
Aside from these chaps being a real pleasure to deal with, they
are developing a very respectable Xserver for *many* UNIX
(and UNIX-like) systems out there, including NetBSD.

This weekend, I fired up their new offering for NetBSD, but
before doing so decided to run XFree86 3.1.1 through it's paces
with 'x11perf -all'.  No disrespect intended for the fine
group of people involved in the XFree86 project.  They undoubtedly
have created and continue to maintain and develop a piece of software
that is extremely important to most of us.

The results:

XFree86 made it about 2/3rds through the test before hanging the
whole system.

XAccel on the average, reported numbers that were twice those
reported by XFree86, and in some cases significantly more than
that.  It also did not hang the system.

If anyone is interested in the gory details, feel free to drop
me some mail.

Disclaimer - I have no financial connection with Xinside.

-Randy

PS - They also plan to offer Motif with this server package.