Subject: -current bootstrap questions
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@cs.pdx.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/13/1995 19:31:34
Hi...

I've been keeping up with -current kernels for a while, and finally
decided to get caught up with the rest of the -current world.  I have a
couple of quesions that I hope will keep me from hosing up my system
too badly...

- After supping the current.allsrc distribution, how does one go about
  rebuilding the world?  It seems like there would be some chicken-and-
  egg problems involved with building the libraries, compiler tools,
  etc.  Are the makefiles set up to take care of this?

- Does the build process work by replacing the system it's being
  compiled on, or do you set up a seperate place for all the new
  binaries?

- Is there an easy way for me to tell if anything major was badly
  broken at the time I did the 'sup'?  (I know I'll find out sooner or
  later, but it's nice to be warned... :)

Thanks,
- monroe
Monroe Williams    aka    monroe@cs.pdx.edu    aka    monroe@teleport.com