Subject: Re: PCVT/virtual consoles
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@vitruvius.arbld.unimelb.edu.au>
From: Alan Barrett <barrett@daisy.ee.und.ac.za>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/1995 14:44:23
> So does anyone have an example .screenrc or patches to make screen use
> ALT-F* to switch between screens rather than ^<something> ?

Sorry, I don't have that, but I do have my favourite .screenrc commands:

   escape ``
   bind ' ' other

The "`" (backquote) key is easily accessible on many keyboards without
needing any shift/control/alt/cokebottle stuff, but I find I don't use
it for much, so it's available for the screen escape character (which
I do use a lot).  When I really want a backquote, such as when writing
Unix shell commands, or quotations inside TeX documents, I have to press
the key twice, but I consider that a small price to pay for the ease of
use at other times.

Setting both the first and second escape characters to the same value
means that the command to flip to the most recently accessed other
window (ctl-A ctl-A with the default key bindings) is not available, so
I set <backquote><space> to do that.

--apb (Alan Barrett)