Subject: random core dumps when compiling...
To: NetBSD-current <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Steven Tamola <buckwild@u.washington.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/09/1995 12:16:49
dear all,

i have been having this problem ever since i upgraded to current, and i
haven't the slightest idea why.  for some reason, whenever i try to
compile something on my netbsd-current/i386 as of may 5, '95, i get
random error code 139's and sig 11's every time.  it also happens when
there is a large amount of disk activity.  for example, whenever i try to
rebuild my whole system from source, i continually have to keep typing
"make" amidst all the sig 11's, until the compilation is finally done.
it is quite annoying at best.

i attribute this to my cyrix processor.  i have tried turning the
internal cache off, but i still get the core dumps.  under
netbsd-1.0/i386, the random core dumps would only happen if i had the
DUMMY_NOPS option in the kernel, but under -current, i now get the core
dumps all the time.

has anyone out there with a cyrix processor had the same problems?  i
don't want to move back to -1.0 as i really enjoy the new stuff in
-current.  can anyone sympathize with me?  am i forced to fork out the
dough to by a new motherboard?

thanks for any help or suggestions for my problems.

sincerely,

-m