Subject: Re: PCVT/virtual consoles
To: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 05/08/1995 13:12:44
On Mon, 8 May 1995, Matthieu Herrb wrote:

> You wrote (in your message from Mon  8)
>  > 	I think there are two issue here - multiple text consoles, and
>  > 	multiple X servers.
>  >
>  > 	Personally I'd like multiple text consoles on the vt320 on one
>  > 	of my sparcs - it would be nice if the virtual terminals support
>  > 	was architecture independant.
>
> You can do that  whith window(1) which is part of NetBSD or with GNU
> screen. Latest screen version is 3.6.2 and it's available from
> prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/screen-3.6.2.tar.gz.

	Having said that, I use screen, but I always liked what I first
	saw on linux of having multiple login sessions you could swap
	between using the function keys.

	The multiple login sessions is easy to get under screen, but the
	function key swap I found less so...

	Either pcvt provides something better than screen, in which case
	it should be on all ports, or it doesn't in which case it shouldn't
	even be in the i386 port, & screen should be provided as a binary
	package for all ports (or even included in the base distribution,
	but I don't want to start that discussion again :).

	I guess my point is that I don't see why pcvt should only be on
	the i386 port.

	(Don't get me wrong, I use the i386 port on my laptop :)

		David

  D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME)    (+44) 171 477 8186    abs@Monochrome
         (>=-=<)   Network Analyst  {post,host}master  (>=-=<)
 Computing Services, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
  .----'  Monochrome `--------------------'  biggest UK internet BBS `---.
 /  telnet mono.city.ac.uk  .--------.  email to monoadm@mono.city.ac.uk  \