Subject: Re: PCVT/virtual consoles
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/08/1995 07:59:42
> I think there are two issue here - multiple text consoles, and
> multiple X servers.

> Personally I'd like multiple text consoles on the vt320 on one of my
> sparcs - it would be nice if the virtual terminals support was
> architecture independant.

Why not just fire up window as soon as you log in?  That's what I do.
(Especially, in my case, since the rcons emulator is :bw@: (why?!), but
window's windows are :bw:.)

> Getting the multiple X server support to be architecture independant
> I would consider another (worthwhile) issue, but shouldn't basic pcvt
> support be generalised first?

Multiple X server support is something I did, for the Sun, back in the
R4 days.  On machines with a dumb memory-mapped framebuffer, it is - or
at least was - quite easy.

The major reason for putting support for this into the kernel, as far
as I can see, is to virtualize the whole console, so that you can, say,
switch between an X session and a text session.  I realize that a SPARC
isn't a bitty box, you don't have to twiddle video mode bits when
switching, so it could be done by building versions of Xsun and window
that cooperate.  I'm still not sure it's worth doing, though.  (Let's
just say that it's not something I've wished for.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu