Subject: Re: PCVT/virtual consoles
To: Andrew Gillham <>
From: Ken Hornstein <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/1995 17:30:21
>Are there any plans to support virtual consoles on other ports?
>Specifically sparc, but perhaps sun3, hp300, etc?
>I like being able to start multiple Xservers on my i386 box, and miss
>it on my sparc box.  (and virtual consoles would be useful on sparc,
>though perhaps a bit slower than on i386)

It's my understanding that pcvt and the XFree86 server co-operate when it comes
to switching virtual consoles (pcvt doesn't know how to change the state of
the video card - it just tells the X server to do it).  So not only would you
have to port pcvt, but you'd also have to put that functionality into your
X server (and it's my understanding that the other NetBSD ports run a close-to-
vanilla MIT X server).  Actually, now I remember reading something about
XFree86 working on NetBSD/sparc, so maybe it's not impossible.