Subject: Re: Read-only root
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1995 10:34:37
>> I've been doing this with the sun3 and sparc ports, but as far as I
>> can recall, all the changes are architecture-independent things like
>> changes to the /etc/rc* scripts.

> I would be interested.  Are you sure that all what is required is to
> be done in /etc/* ?

No.  All I'm sure of is that all that I've noticed so far is in /etc.

> How would you setup the hostname and other things like IP-address if
> you share the /root with several machines?

NetBSD diskless kernels come up already knowing their hostname and
domainname, with their principal network interface configured enough to
talk to their server, and knowing the server and path from which / is
mounted.

> bootp I guess?

bootparams rather than bootp, but the differences are technical rather
than philosophical.

> I thing you also need some changes in the kernel, for swap over NFS
> and such.

That's part of basic diskless support, and is already present.  If
you're willing to give each machine its own root filesystem area,
NetBSD runs diskless out of the box.  I just wanted to make the root
area RO rather than RW, and share it among multiple machines.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu