Subject: Performance improvements in NetBSD-current vs 1.0?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Cargille <jcargill@cs.wisc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/1995 09:52:09
I was hoping someone could tell me whether there are any significant
performance improvements in NetBSD-current, as compared to NetBSD-1.0.

I'm most concerned with I/O performance and VM performance.

The reason I ask is that we're "baking-off" NetBSD-1.0, Linux, and
Solaris before adopting one of them as our departmental PC Unix.
Unfortunately, preliminary results seem to show NetBSD bringing up the
rear in VM performance, and trailing Linux by quite a bit in I/O
performance.

Believe me, I would like the results to show otherwise; so I was
wondering whether upgrading the test machine to NetBSD-current might
give NetBSD a "more fair" chance.  (Our first thought was to compare
the last "real" release of each; thus the use of 1.0...)

Would I be likely to see a significant performance gain by comparing
NetBSD-current instead?

Thanks a lot,

Jon