Subject: Re: ACL stuff
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: current-users
Date: 04/21/1995 11:05:23
Hi

While on the subject of ACLs, does anyone know where/form who IBM grokked
their ACL stuff from for AIX?

Sorry if I'm being redundant, but I only clicked NOW where I've seen
ACL used! Under AIX its quite usefull to grant extended access on a single user
basis.

But, I've got two comments:

	1) ACLs tend to become VERY messy if not used properly
	   The AIX docs has a LONG section on ACL priority etc.

	2) A MUCH bigger problem is that standard archive tools (tar, etc)
	   obviously does NOT work with ACLs and you lose all that extra
	   information.

	   AIX solves this (refer /bin/mksysb script on AIX) by going a
	   find with perms of -200000000 to pick out the files with ACLs
	   and then stores the ACLs in a file. These ACLs are then applied
	   during the restore part of the script - very messy....

All in all, I'm in favour of using ACLs though :-)

--
Ernst J. du Toit (TED5)           Internet: ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za
School of Electrical Engineering  BELTEL  : 175250 / Amateur Radio: ZR1ABB