Subject: Re: can't fork but what's short?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
From: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1995 17:02:46
In message <199504201359.XAA00292@zen.void.oz.au>, "Simon J. Gerraty" writes:

> Ok, I finally got some time to have a look around and found that
> MAXUPROC is set via CHILD_MAX (defined in sys/syslimits.h)  but short
> of editing that file there seems no way to modify MAXUPROC.
>
> I figured I'd rather be able to configure it in my kernel config
> (if not on the fly...)  so a simple #ifndef in syslimits.h and:
>
> options		CHILD_MAX="(maxproc / 2)"	# sets MAXUPROC
>
> in my config and I'm now allowed 500+ processes.

Hmm, I don't know, 40 might be a little cramped, but I have never hit it
yet.  Even with X.  However, if I do a 'unlimit maxproc', I get to have
260 procs running all at once.  I doubt I'll ever hit that limit
intentionally.

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner | Email: weingart@BrandonU.Ca | Need a Unix sys-admin?  |
| Box 27, Beulah, MB |-----------------------------| Send E-Mail for resume, |
| R0M 0B0, Canada    | Unix Guru, Admin, Sys-Prgmr | and other details...    |
|      %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown         |