Subject: PPP performace and silo overflows
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John C. Hayward <johnh@david.wheaton.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1995 09:21:56
Dear NetBSDers,
   I have USRobotics 28,800 internal modems on two NetBSD-1.0 486/DX-33
machines.  I am using ppp to connect these machines.  Both systems use
rtscts hardware flow control and transmit to the computer at 115200 baud
with compression enabled.

   My ftp transfer rates are as follows:
   200kb C source code - 6245 bytes/sec        - no silo overflow
   500kb kernel        - 3240 - 3572 bytes/sec - some silo overflows
   100kb part of kernel- 4049 bytes/sec        - no silo overflow
   500kb compressed    - 2558 bytes/sec        - some silo overflow
   100kb compressed    - 2688 bytes/sec        - no silo overflow

If I turn on hash marks transfers seem to progress normally except
occationally things seem to stop for a while then partially gets caught
up usually followed by the silo overflows.

Any suggestions for how to prevent the silo overflows?

johnh...