Subject: Re: Segmentation fault disaster
To: alphaepsilon <aellwood@MIT.EDU>
From: Alec H. Peterson <chuckie@panix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1995 07:31:01
alphaepsilon writes:

>I have current (April 11) on my i386.  I was running a perl5 script
>and perl seg faulted and dumped core.  So I cded into the directory
>that my perl script is it (note that cd is a shell builtin for me so
>it worked).  I tried to ls....ls seg faulted.  I tried to ps...ps seg
>faulted.  At this point I decided I was going to reboot real soon now
>so I tried to sync...sync seg faulted.  Then I tried to quit one of my
>emacs with control-x control-c...it froze.  So I tried to use the kill
>window menu option in my twm menus...twm seg faulted and dumped core.
>I gave up and control-alt-backspaced to get out of X because my
>session gate wouldn't die (exit was seg faulting too).  X locked up my
>terminal...I tried control-c and then the machine wedged.
>
>When I gave up and reset the machine everything looked fine.  The
>machine had only been up for 3 or 4 days at most and there were no
>errors beforehand (I listen to syslogs *.notice).
>
>Any ideas?

Hmmmm, this sounds like it could be a problem a problem with possibly
one of two things that have happened to me:

1) something is wrong with the dynamic libraries.

2) The kernel version is different than that of the rest of the
software on the computer (ie, it is part of a different NetBSD
release).

Of course it could easially be something else.  What have you changed
recently?

Alec

--
|Alec Peterson                       | Panix Public Access UNIX and Internet|